ChatGPT Statistics: Pioneering Insights into the Ocean of Textual Intelligence
At Market.us Scoop, we strive to bring you the most accurate and up-to-date information by utilizing a variety of resources, including paid and free sources, primary research, and phone interviews. Our data is available to the public free of charge, and we encourage you to use it to inform your personal or business decisions. If you choose to republish our data on your own website, we simply ask that you provide a proper citation or link back to the respective page on Market.us Scoop. We appreciate your support and look forward to continuing to provide valuable insights for our audience.
Table of Contents
- Editor’s Choice
- ChatGPT Statistics by Overall Revenue
- Landscape of ChatGPT Engagement
- Social Media Traffic to ChatGPT
- ChatGPT’s Infrastructure
- ChatGPT Statistics by Different Versions
- ChatGPT: GPT-3.5 vs GPT-4
- ChatGPT Statistics By App Usage
- ChatGPT Statistics – User by Age
- ChatGPT Statistics – Use by Gender
- ChatGPT Statistics by Region
ChatGPT Statistics: ChatGPT stands as a sophisticated conversational AI model developed by OpenAI. It belongs to the GPT lineage of models, falling under the acronym “Generative Pre-trained Transformer.” Its primary objective involves engaging in seamless natural language dialogues with users, offering responses akin to human-like conversation, and comprehending an extensive spectrum of input queries.
With a robust training regimen encompassing varied textual sources, ChatGPT excels in generating text that maintains coherence and contextual relevance. This attribute positions it as a potent instrument applicable across various domains involving interactions between humans and computers. Its emergence marks a notable stride within natural language processing, ushering in heightened dynamism and interactivity in exchanges between users and automated systems.
- In December 2022, approximately 266 million individuals visited the website chat.openai.com.
- Forecasts indicate an expected total revenue of approximately $200 million for 2023.
- Notably, the statistics for ChatGPT’s website reveal that nearly 99.97% of the traffic originates organically, while a minor 0.03% is attributed to paid sources.
- Impressively, traffic directed to the official chatbot website in the United States surged remarkably by 1448%.
- ChatGPT achieved the milestone of 1 million users in a mere five days.
- Noteworthy contributors to OpenAI’s funding encompass enterprises like Khosla, Infosys, Ventures, and Microsoft.
- Evidently, the most substantial portion of ChatGPT users, totaling 34.8%, falls within the age bracket of 25 to 34 years.
ChatGPT Statistics by Overall Revenue
- In 2022, ChatGPT’s overall revenue was less than 10 million.
- In 2023, the projected revenue attributed to ChatGPT is anticipated to reach 200 million.
- Subsequently, in 2024, a substantial surge in revenue is envisaged, with projections soaring to 1,000 million. These estimations reflect the growing recognition and adoption of ChatGPT within various industries and sectors.
(Source: Semafor, Reuters)
Landscape of ChatGPT Engagement
- The traffic to ChatGPT originates from various sources, each contributing to the overall engagement with the platform. The largest share of traffic, comprising 88.43%, comes directly to the website, indicating a strong and established user base.
- Referral sources account for a minor 0.76%, reflecting the influence of external websites in guiding visitors to ChatGPT.
- Organic search queries contribute around 3.79% of the traffic, highlighting the effectiveness of search engines in driving users to the platform.
- Notably, paid search is negligible, constituting less than 0.01% of the total traffic. Social media platforms significantly generate approximately 4.22% of the traffic through shares and interactions.
- Email campaigns contribute a substantial 2.75% of the traffic, showcasing the impact of targeted marketing efforts.
- Lastly, display-based sources constitute a minor 0.03% of the traffic, emphasizing the multifaceted nature of traffic origins for ChatGPT.
Social Media Traffic to ChatGPT
- Within social media, various platforms contribute to the traffic influx on ChatGPT. Notably, YouTube emerges as a dominant source, driving a significant 58.07% of the total social media traffic.
- WhatsApp Web follows suit, contributing 11.17% of the traffic, showcasing its popularity as a communication channel.
- Facebook’s influence is also notable, generating 10.75% of the social media traffic, while Twitter and LinkedIn contribute 4.18% and 3.39%, respectively.
- Additionally, other social media platforms collectively account for 12.44% of the traffic, indicating a diverse spread of user engagement across various online communities. This distribution underscores the multifaceted nature of ChatGPT’s reach and its presence within the social media landscape.
- ChatGPT operates on Graphics Processing Units (GPUs), specialized processors with dedicated memory tailored to accelerate graphics rendering processes.
- A solitary NVIDIA A100 GPU can execute a 3-billion parameter model within approximately six milliseconds.
- In this context, employing a single NVIDIA A100 GPU for ChatGPT might necessitate around 350 milliseconds to generate just one word.
- The previous iteration of ChatGPT, version 3.5, comprises over 175 billion parameters, akin to a storage capacity of 800GB.
- To generate output for a singular query, a minimum of five A100 GPUs are indispensable for loading the model and text.
- ChatGPT achieves an output rate of approximately 15-20 words per second.
- Consequently, to accommodate ChatGPT-3.5’s capabilities, a server equipped with at least 8 A100 GPUs is requisite.
ChatGPT Statistics by Different Versions
- In its initial form, GPT-1, the precursor to the tool, underwent training utilizing the extensive BooksCorpus dataset. This version harnessed a substantial volume of data featuring varied text collections in sequence, enabling it to learn an extensive array of relationships.
- Subsequently, GPT-2 embraced a larger dataset, incorporating a heightened number of parameters (1.5 billion compared to GPT-1’s 150 million). This augmentation resulted in a more comprehensive and intricate language model.
- GPT-3, introduced in 2020, further amplified its parameters (roughly 116 times more than GPT-2). This iteration marked a significant advancement, boasting heightened potency and swifter performance than its predecessors.
- Debuting in March 2023, ChatGPT-4 stands as the most recent iteration of this tool. With an upgrade involving the GPT-4 language model,
- ChatGPT now can formulate responses encompassing up to 25,000 words—a notable enhancement, eight times the capacity of its predecessor. Moreover, it now possesses the versatility to process image inputs and textual content, making it a multimodal platform.
- Projections indicate that the training for ChatGPT-4 will encompass a remarkable 100 trillion parameters, approximately equivalent to the complexity of the human brain.
- This hints at the possibility that the training data for this latest iteration could be amplified to a scale roughly 571 times larger than the 175 billion parameters employed for ChatGPT-3.
- OpenAI’s updates highlight that the newest iteration exhibits a 40% increase in generating factual responses.
- Additionally, it boasts an 82% reduction in the likelihood of generating disallowed or inappropriate content.
(Source: ToolTester, Wired)
ChatGPT: GPT-3.5 vs GPT-4
- GPT-3.5 and -4 exhibit distinct differentiators in their capabilities, encompassing the scope and nature of data they can handle.
- GPT-4 is introduced in two versions: the 8K variant, characterized by a context length spanning around 8,000 tokens, and the 32K variant, which accommodates approximately 32,000 tokens.
- Consequently, this indicates that the most recent iteration of the tool demonstrates an ability to manage lengthier documents, generate more extensive textual compositions, and engage in more sustained conversations without the risk of losing context.
ChatGPT Statistics By App Usage
- An application version of ChatGPT is accessible on both iOS and Android platforms.
- OpenAI introduced the iOS ChatGPT app on May 18, 2023, exclusively for United States users, extending its availability to over 40 additional countries, including the U.K., Germany, and New Zealand.
- The iOS app gained rapid popularity, recording over 500,000 downloads within its inaugural week on the Apple App Store.
- Currently boasting a user rating of 4.4 stars out of 5, garnered from 10,932 ratings, the iOS ChatGPT app holds second in the ‘Productivity’ category, trailing only behind Gmail.
- Subsequently, an Android version of the ChatGPT app was launched in July 2023.
- It has garnered over 5 million downloads and maintains a user rating of 4 stars out of 5, reflecting the positive response from 42K user reviews on the Google Play Store.
(Source: Techcrunch, Data.ai, Apple, Play Store)
ChatGPT Statistics – User by Age
- The user demographic composition of ChatGPT in 2023 reflects a varied range of age groups, each contributing to its user base. The age bracket of 25 to 34 years constitutes the largest share of users, accounting for 34.82% of the total.
- Close behind, the age group of 18 to 24 years follows, contributing 27.7% of the user base.
- Individuals aged 35 to 44 represent 18.28% of the users, while those in the 45 to 54 age range make up 10.11%.
- Users between the ages of 55 and 64 encompass 5.67% of the total, while the age group of 65 and above constitutes 3.42%. This distribution emphasizes the platform’s appeal across a broad spectrum of age groups, indicating its accessibility and relevance to users spanning various stages of life.
ChatGPT Statistics – Use by Gender
- The user base of ChatGPT exhibits a gender distribution that underscores its popularity among both male and female users. Among the users, males constitute the majority, accounting for a substantial share of 65.68%.
- Females also contribute to the platform’s user base, comprising 34.32%. This gender balance highlights ChatGPT’s broad appeal, catering to a diverse audience and fostering inclusivity within its user community.
ChatGPT Statistics by Region
- For the Percentage of ChatGPT users, the United States leads the world with 10.4% of users.
- Approximately 58% of adults in the United States possess familiarity with ChatGPT, yet only a minority have actively engaged with it.
- Regarding awareness levels, 18% of adults are well-acquainted with ChatGPT, 39% have some level of familiarity, and 42% remain uninformed. Notably, disparities in awareness exist across demographics.
- For instance, 79% of individuals with postgraduate degrees are somewhat conversant with this artificial intelligence program.
- Among those with a bachelor’s degree, 71% share the same awareness.
- In contrast, 59% of those with some college education have heard of ChatGPT, whereas 41% of those with a high school education or less possess familiarity. A similar trend emerges concerning household income, with a more significant proportion of more affluent households being aware.
- Further nuances emerge when considering racial backgrounds. Asian adults exhibit a heightened awareness, with 78% having heard about ChatGPT, compared to around 60% of White adults and approximately 50% of Hispanic or Black adults. Additionally, Asian adults are significantly more likely to be well-acquainted with ChatGPT than other racial groups.
- According to ChatGPT Statistics, Gender, and age also play a role in awareness levels. Men and adults under 30 are more likely to have at least some familiarity with ChatGPT.
- Among those familiar with ChatGPT, 19% have utilized it for entertainment purposes, while 14% have employed it as a tool for learning.
- Furthermore, around 10% of working adults aware of ChatGPT have integrated it into their professional tasks.
(Source: Similar Web, Pew Research Center)
- India holds the second position globally regarding ChatGPT users, accounting for 9.8% of the entire user base, trailing only behind the United States.
- A Bengaluru-based startup named Plum has introduced PolicyGPT, leveraging GPT-3 technology to revolutionize the insurance sector. The primary objective of this GPT-3-powered chatbot is to educate consumers about their health insurance policies.
- Sukuru Sai Vineet, a software developer at Google India, has developed an AI chatbot named GitaGPT. This innovative chatbot employs GPT-3 technology and the Bhagavad Gita’s teachings to solve life’s challenges.
- Another Bengaluru-based conversational AI platform, CoRover, has recently unveiled BharatGPT. In contrast to OpenAI’s ChatGPT, which predominantly supports 95 languages and primarily interprets English instructions, BharatGPT introduces a broader capability.
- CoRover’s chatbot can process diverse data types, including photos, audio, video, maps, and text—a feature not present in ChatGPT.
- While the accuracy of ChatGPT is yet to be established, CoRover claims that BharatGPT achieves a 90% accuracy rate. These initiatives underscore India’s contributions to advancing AI-powered chatbots and their diverse applications.
(Source: Similar Web, Indiaai.com)
- Japan’s ChatGPT user representation stands at 6.07% of the global share.
- As of June 2023, a survey conducted in Japan revealed that 55.6% of participants exhibited varying degrees of willingness to utilize the OpenAI chatbot, ChatGPT, in the forthcoming times.
- The survey further indicated that a slightly greater percentage of respondents declined to adopt this artificial intelligence software than those who remained undecided.
- A recent survey conducted by a Japanese research group revealed that approximately 32% of university students in Japan have engaged with the artificial intelligence chatbot ChatGPT. Many of these students expressed that using ChatGPT has enhanced their cognitive capabilities.
- Notably, the survey highlighted that ChatGPT was predominantly utilized by students majoring in science, technology, and agriculture, accounting for 45.5% of users in these departments.
- Men were observed to use ChatGPT more frequently, with a rate of 44.8%, compared to women, who constituted 27.1% of users.
- According to ChatGPT Statistics 2023 survey, conducted online between May 24 and June 2, garnered responses from 4,000 students enrolled in universities across Japan. The study was prompted by concerns regarding the potential impact of ChatGPT on students’ critical thinking and creative faculties.
- The findings revealed that 33.0% of students in humanities, social sciences, and education departments used ChatGPT, while the usage rate was 21.2% in medicine, dentistry, and pharmacology departments.
- Among the respondents, 14% had employed ChatGPT for writing reports and coursework tasks.
- A significant majority, 91.8%, used the tool to verify generated text accuracy or make necessary adjustments.
- Regarding the influence on thinking abilities, the survey indicated that 70.7% of students perceived ChatGPT to have a positive or somewhat positive impact. In comparison, 15.4% believed it had a negative or somewhat negative influence. The survey’s outcomes offer insights into students’ perceptions of ChatGPT’s effects on their intellectual capacities.
(Source: Similar Web, Statista, Kyodo)
- A recent investigation In March 2023 revealed that the ChatGPT website has garnered significant attention from students and academics in the U.K, amassing over a million visits within two months.
- Specifically, data from eight universities within the Russell Group indicates that in December 2022, there were 128,402 recorded visits from the universities’ WiFi, followed by 982,809 visits in January 2023.
- Interestingly, most Russell Group universities, constituting two-thirds of them, do not monitor users’ internet browsing activity. As a representative average, the Russell Group universities reported a median of 34,543 visits each to the ChatGPT website from their respective WiFi networks during the two months.
- Notable examples include Warwick University, where the website experienced over 850,000 visits from the university’s WiFi in December and January, coinciding with the university’s assessment period.
- Similarly, Newcastle University recorded six figures in visits, with 112,290 recorded visits during the two-month timeframe.
- Liverpool University and Glasgow University also saw noteworthy engagement, with just under 50,000 and over 40,000 site visits, respectively.
(Source: The Tab)
ChatGPT Statistics – The landscape of ChatGPT statistics encapsulates its evolutionary trajectory, diverse applications, and potential ethical implications. From its inception to its advanced iterations like GPT-4, ChatGPT’s conversational prowess and revenue generation highlight its significance. The demographic distribution of users and traffic sources exemplify its global reach and engagement.
ChatGPT is an advanced conversational AI model developed by OpenAI. It is part of the GPT (Generative Pre-trained Transformer) family of models. It is designed to engage in natural conversations with users, offering human-like responses and understanding input queries.
ChatGPT’s evolution involves enhanced capabilities such as improved natural language understanding and generation. Its versions, like GPT-4, can handle longer conversations and offer more nuanced responses, with context length spanning up to 32,000 tokens.
Statistics reveal a diverse user base, with various age groups and genders represented. Users aged 25 to 34 constitute a substantial share, and the platform’s appeal extends across gender lines.
Projected revenue figures indicate a significant economic impact, with substantial growth anticipated. The model’s adoption across industries and applications contributes to its revenue generation.
Traffic originates from multiple sources, including direct visits, referrals, organic searches, social media platforms, email campaigns, and more. These sources collectively contribute to the platform’s visibility and engagement.
Tajammul Pangarkar is a CMO at Prudour Pvt Ltd. Tajammul longstanding experience in the fields of mobile technology and industry research is often reflected in his insightful body of work. His interest lies in understanding tech trends, dissecting mobile applications, and raising general awareness of technical know-how. He frequently contributes to numerous industry-specific magazines and forums. When he’s not ruminating about various happenings in the tech world, he can usually be found indulging in his next favorite interest - table tennis.
Latest from Author
- Fraud Detection and Prevention is the Crucial Topic in Cybercrime
- Top 10 FDP Companies | A Fraud Detection and Prevention Technology
- Fraud Detection and Prevention Statistics: Secure Ways
- Heat Exchanger is Increasing Focus On Energy Efficiency and Sustainability Is Stimulating
- Top 10 FPGA Companies | Prototyping Hardware Technology