An orally disintegrating tablet is a form of solid dosage form that disintegrates in the mouth. Orally disintegrating tablet does not require water and travelers to a target location with a limited time. Orally disintegrating tablets offer a numerous benefit to both patients and manufacturers and thus making this dosage form as a versatile option for many applications.
Benefits of orally disintegrating tablet for patients:
- It allows accurate dosing
- Helps in improving patient compliance
- Ideally suited for non-ambulatory patients and those patients who have difficulty chewing or swallowing
- They are more convenient than other dosage form owing to offers quicker onset of therapeutic action, easy to swallow, and requires no water.
There are two types of orally disintegrating tablet namely anti-psychotics drug and anti-epileptics drug. Antipsychotics also called as major tranquilizers or neuroleptics. The long term use of antipsychotics may cause severe adverse effects such as, gynecomastia, involuntary movement disorders, impotence, metabolic syndrome, and weight gain.
By application, the orally disintegrating tablet market is mainly divided into CNS diseases, gastrointestinal diseases, and CVS diseases. The orally disintegrating tablet is widely used for the treatment of CNS diseases, due to increasing prevalence and incidences of CNS diseases such as, migraine, Parkinson’s disease, depression, Alzheimer’s disease, schizophrenia, and many others. According to Oregon Health & Science University, in 2016, the prevelance of Alzheimer’s Disease was approximately 5,300,000.
Based on regions, the market has been categories across the North America region, Europe region, Asia Pacific region, Latin America region, and the Middle East and Africa region. Among these regions, the demand for orally disintegrating tablet is comparatively high in counties namely Canada and US in the North America region. This is cam be attributed to, advancements in oral protein delivery technology, developed medical infrastructure, and higher health care expenditure. Asia Pacific region is expected to be the emerging market for orally disintegrating tablet, owing to the rising elderly population and increasing incidences of chronic diseases.
Major players are focusing on receiving regulatory bodies approval in order to expand its regional presence and is major trends witnessed in the target market. Some of the key players in the global orally disintegrating tablet market report include, Merck, Teva, Pfizer, Mylan
- In November 2018, Alembic Pharmaceutical Limited, which is an India-based pharmaceutical company received approval from USFDA for Vardenafil Hydrochloride orally disintegrating tablet
- In June 2017, Neos Therapeutics, Inc., which is a US-based pharmaceutical company received US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval for Cotempla XR-ODT and methylphenidate extended-release orally disintegrating tablet used for the treatment of hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) in patients age between 6 to 17 years.